Friday 18 March 2011

DREU

I have invented the Day-Ruining Equivalent Unit to measure the badness of bad days.

1 DREU is the amount of shite that would suffice to ruin your day by itself, even if the rest of the day was utterly average.

(Since the badness of days is a subjective assessment, what qualifies a day as ruined is a subjective measure, to be defined by the individual affected.)

As an example, I'll take a day completely at random, like yesterday:

Losing a travelcard and having to take a half day off work to sort it out: 1 DREU. Coming to the conclusion that I couldn't sort it out because I didn't have the insurance document, and would therefore be out of pocket to the tune of £420: 2 DREUs. Walking 10 miles in the course of a day, ending up physically exhausted: let's say ½ a DREU. Being asked to write a report on a chess match, but getting to South Shields half an hour late mostly as a result of my own incompetence and missing the entire Board 1 game: 1 DREU. Total badness: 4½ DREUs.

Hopefully those people that I moaned at over the course of the day will be reassured to know that there came a point after which I just found the whole experience hilarious :-)

3 comments:

  1. I'm curious, how do you pronounce said DREU?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon it would have to be Droy, with a rolled R, as if it were German. Das DREU :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about this idea earlier this week in relation to the opposite context: What about when something makes your day? Is there an equal but opposite Day-Making Equivalent Unit, or is that just measured in negative DREUs?

    ReplyDelete