Monday 14 March 2011

Caps

Do you recognise this logo?












If you walk around in public for any length of time, you'll probably see it on five different heads. It's been made oh so fashionable by the likes of the Limp Biscuits and Mr. Jay Zed.

If you buy one of these caps, you are giving money to the Evil Empire. (Admittedly, they have never actually set a big pile of fossil fuel on fire for the hell of it, or paid third world children a dollar a day to cut rainforests down. Their evilness mostly stems from the fact that I don't personally like them.)

However, if you buy one of these instead












or these









or even these












three things will happen:

  • You will look like a cool, individual kind of person
  • You will make the Yankees $10 poorer, which will make them think twice about offering another $100,000,000 contract to some All-Star reserve outfielder who'll keep them qualifying for the playoffs at Toronto's expense every darn year until 2050
  • You will allow me to tick off another team on my rather geeky quest to spot all 30 Major League baseball caps outside North America. So far I've got 13: Y*nk**s, Red Sox, Tigers, Astros, Reds, White Sox, Dodgers, Giants (Giants was an interesting one, I could see from behind that the inebriated gentleman peeing on a fence at the Edinburgh Festival was wearing a Major League cap, but to get a glimpse of it from the front required greater nerve than usual), Padres, Angels, Braves, Athletics, Mets. There was also the time when I'm afraid I failed to greet my friend Will with my usual exuberance, because I was double-checking that the young lady on the opposite side of the crossing was actually wearing a Texas Rangers t-shirt. I don't know if I should count t-shirts.

Baseball, by the way, is a wonderful game, and cannot possibly be compared to a kind of rounders where they couldn't hit the ball so they made the bats bigger, and then they couldn't catch the ball so they all put massive gloves on...

No comments:

Post a Comment